The Château de Versailles officially reopened the Dauphin and Dauphine’s apartments on 15 April.
These apartments on the ground floor were reserved for members of the royal family. Their current layout corresponds to the period when they were lived in by Louis XV’s son, Louis the Dauphin of France, and his second wife, Maria-Josepha of Saxony, between 1747 and 1765. It was in one of these rooms that the Dauphine of France, Maria-Josepha of Saxony, gave birth to the three last kings of France, including Louis XVI, who was later guillotined during the French Revolution.
Maria-Josepha of Saxony is also “our” Dauphine.
In the eighteenth century, she was invited by the property’s first owner to sample Fronsac’s wines, which at that time were the most renowned and most expensive in all France. She stayed in the château shortly after it was built, and gave it her title in memory of the visit. Château de La Dauphine was born! It stands today among 53 hectares of vines, meticulously tended according to organic and biodynamic principles, whose wines express the terroir with an elegance and finesse worthy of its name, thereby placing them among the ranks of the region’s finest wines.
It was thus a great honour that, on account of this direct link with the Château de Versailles’ history, Château de La Dauphine’s 2010 vintage was chosen as the wine to accompany the magnificent inaugural evening for the opening of the Dauphin and Dauphine’s apartments, in the presence of France’s Minister of Culture, Franck Riester and the President of the Château de Versailles, Catherine Pégard.